Illinois Sparkling Co. is an independent craft winery obsessed with making exceptional sparkling wine using the traditional method. What is “traditional method?” It’s the most hands-on, labor intensive, old–fashioned, all-natural, way to make sparkling wine. It’s the way they’ve done it in France for centuries and it happens to be the only way to make the BEST sparkling wine. Period. So that’s the way we do it at Illinois Sparkling Co. We know that all the effort, skill, and craftsmanship that goes into the process results in something truly extraordinary and unique in every bottle. And we think it’s worth it.
Years ago, Mark & Teri Wenzel, owners of August Hill Winery, became fascinated with Champagnes and Sparkling Wines. When Mark, the winemaker for August Hill, realized that Illinois was a region primed to produce world-class sparkling wine grapes, he dove headfirst into sparkling experimentation. The grapes used in our sparkling wines are 100% Illinois grown, and each wine is handcrafted at our winery in Peru, Illinois. Mark oversees this entire intense process – from partnering with the very best growers in Illinois, to meticulously blending and tasting (and tasting, and tasting) our cuvees until he is perfectly satisfied.
2019 Featured Wines
Traditional Method Sparkling Wines
- Brut (Brut) – Light & crisp, yet bold & full-bodied, our signature Brut stands up to its name. Like liquid gold, it’s a true classic. Traditional, yet exciting. Great for any occasion.
Try it if you like: Belgian Ales, Citrus, or An Excuse to Toast
- Brut Ombre Rosé (Brut) – Our award-winning Brut Ombré Rosé features hints of raspberry & great acidity. Subtle color variations make each vintage unique.
Try it if you like: Framboise Lambic, Rare Finds, Roasted Chicken or Turkey
- Brut Rosé De Saignée (Brut Rosé) – With a hypnotizing color and unique blend, our Brut Rosé De Saignée pays homage to winemaking traditions. Take your senses on an unexpected journey.
Try it if you like: Red Wine, Asiago Cheese, Savoring the Moment
- Sec – with a hint of sweetness and a nice, gentle balance, enjoy notes of honey and citrus in this sparkler. A little bit softer & full of flavor, it pairs naturally with spicy exotic foods.
Try it if you like: Amaretto Sour, Pan Asian cuisine, Reminiscing with friends
- Demi Sec Rosé – Romantic & sassy, this bold little rosé brings a depth of color & flavor to delight your senses. Hints of chocolate, cherry, and cinnamon underscore a slightly fruity first layer. ** “Best of Show” winner at 2018 Illinois State Fair Wine Competition **
Try it if you like: Strawberry daiquiris, pavlova, stolen kisses