August Hill Winery is owned by Mark & Teri Wenzel. Mark watched his grandfather, August Engelhaupt, carefully tend the scenic piece of land that is now the location of the AHW vineyard and winery. Mark shares the passion that Grandpa Augie had for growing premium crops. When he discovered that French-hybrid grapes grow well in our climate, the concept for August Hill Winery was born.
The AHW motto is “From the heart to the hand, a passion for creation.” We take this seriously at August Hill. We are passionate about creating wines with the upmost care and attention to detail. From harvesting and crushing, to fermentation and barrel-aging, all phases of grape production and the winemaking process are carefully monitored by our winemaker, Mark Wenzel.
2019 Featured Wines
- Caramel Apple – Enjoy refreshing flavors and aromas of crisp, juicy apples and delicious, creamy caramel in this light, sweet wine.
- Chardonel – A rich, fruit-forward wine, fermented and aged sur lies in oak. This dry and refreshing white wine exhibits a complex set of aromas and flavors.
- Niagara – A sweet, fruity, and very aromatic white wine with a strong American grape flavor.
- Vignoles – semi-dry, light-bodied wine with tropical fruit aromas and flavors. Vignoles is a French-American hybrid grape. This wine is similar in style to a Riesling.
- Sweet Catawba – A light, sweet, and fruity blush wine. This wine is made from American Grapes and has great fruit flavor. Catawba pairs well with light fish dishes, cheese and crackers, or friends who just want to sip and relax.
- Chambourcin Rosé – A semi-dry, light-bodied rosé wine made from Illinois-grown Chambourcin grapes with notes of watermelon, strawberry, and light cocoa.
- Augie’s Blackberry – Fruit-forward port style wine made from fresh blackberries. Named after the grandfather of August Hill winemaker, because Augie had a passion for farming and eating fruit such as blackberries.
- Moscato – This slightly sparkled wine is elegant with a fruity bouquet of peaches and honey and has an excellent balance between its level of sweetness and acidity. It is a wine intended for pure and simple pleasure.
- Berlyn – A light, semi-dry red wine made from Frontenac and Chambourcin grapes grown in Illinois.
- Ginocchio – This dry red wine is made from a premium blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Norton, and Frontenac grapes. Aged in oak barrels, this medium-bodied wine has notes of raspberry, black pepper, cherry, vanilla, and cedar.
- Norton – A medium-bodied dry red wine with black currant and spice notes. Norton is a great pairing with a variety of foods due to its supple tannins and nice acidity.
- Trapolino – A medium-bodied semi-sweet red table wine that is very approachable and fruity. Excellent selection for first-time red wine drinkers.
- Almond Infusion – This light sweet bubbling wine is infused with lively almond aromas and natural flavors. This is a great wine to introduce you to bubbles because the sweetness and flavors make it very easy to drink.
- Angel of Hope – This light sweet bubbling wine is made from Niagara wine with a touch of Concord wine added to give it the pink color. Our goal for this wine is to send a message of awareness and hope for all those whose lives have been touched by cancer.
- Mardi Gras – Mardi Gras! Celebration! We have taken one of our most popular wines, Sweet Catawba, and added bubbles. This sweet, bubbly wine is sure to bring out the fun all year long.
- Cranberry Infusion – This light, semi-sweet bubbling wine is made from 100% cranberries. Just like the cranberry sauce you might serve at Thanksgiving, this wine starts out with a sweet taste and ends with a refreshing tart finish.