August Hill Winery
- Website: AugustHillWinery.com
- Booth #: 1
August Hill Winery
The August Hill Winery motto is “From the heart to the hand, a passion for creation.” We take this seriously at August Hill. We are passionate about creating wines with the upmost care and attention to detail. From harvesting and crushing, to fermentation and barrel-aging, all phases of grape production and the winemaking process are carefully monitored by our winemaking team.
August Hill Winery is owned by Mark & Teri Wenzel. Mark watched his grandfather, August Engelhaupt, carefully tend the scenic piece of land that is now the location of the AHW vineyard and winery. Mark shares the passion that Grandpa Augie had for growing premium crops. When he discovered that French-hybrid grapes grow well in our climate, the concept for August Hill Winery was born.
2023 Featured Wines
Whites & Mix the Magic
- Caramel Apple – Enjoy refreshing flavors and aromas of crisp, juicy apples and delicious, creamy caramel in this light, sweet wine.
- Niagara – A sweet, fruity, and very aromatic white wine with a strong American grape flavor.
- Vignoles – a semi-dry, light-bodied wine with tropical fruit aromas and flavors. Vignoles is a French-American hybrid grape. This wine is similar to a Riesling.
- Chardonel – a rich, fruit-forward wine that is fermented and aged sur lies in oak. This dry and refreshing white wine exhibits a complex set of aromas and flavors – fresh butter, vanilla, bananas flambé, honeysuckle, and cream soda. Similar in style to its parent grape, Chardonnay.
- Indigo – Notes of tropical fruit and cotton candy will delight the senses in this blue shimmering wine. Before serving, be sure to “mix the magic” by gently shaking the bottle.
- Emerald Apple – With fresh apple flavors and aromas, this shimmering green, semi-sweet wine is made from locally-grown apples and a wee bit of leprechaun magic.
- Berlyn – A light, semi-dry red wine made from Frontenac and Chambourcin grapes grown in Illinois. Top Red Wine Award Trophy & Double Gold Medal at the 2023 Illinois State Fair Wine Competition.
- Chambourcin Reserve – A medium-bodied red wine with soft tannins and a smooth finish. Ten months in American oak casks contribute to the subtle earthy notes of black raspberry, licorice, clove, lavender, and cedar, which roll across the palate.
- Ginocchio – Ginocchio XV is our fifteenth vintage of this wine. This wine is made from a premium blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Merlot grapes. Aged in oak barrels; notes of licorice, fig, vanilla, and tobacco.
- Trapolino – A medium-bodied semi-sweet red table wine that is very approachable and fruity. Excellent selection for first-time red wine drinkers.
- Bubbly Rosé – Yes, we CAN! Try our new canned Bubbly Rosé, a light, brut-style bubbly rosé wine with fruity aromas and flavors. It’s a fun and convenient pairing for your picnic or outdoor BBQ. 1 Can = 3 Pours. #ShareYourInfusion
- Augie’s Blackberry – Fruit-forward port style wine made from fresh blackberries. Named after the grandfather of August Hill winemaker, because Augie had a passion for farming and eating fruit such as blackberries.
- Moscato – This slightly sparkled wine is elegant with a fruity bouquet of peaches and honey and has an excellent balance between its level of sweetness and acidity. It is a wine intended for pure and simple pleasure.
- Almond Infusion – This light sweet bubbling wine is infused with lively almond aromas and natural flavors. This is a great wine to introduce you to bubbles because the sweetness and flavors make it very easy to drink.
- Mardi Gras – Mardi Gras! Celebration! We have taken one of our most popular wines, Sweet Catawba, and added bubbles. This sweet, bubbly wine is sure to bring out the fun all year long.
- Cranberry Infusion – This light, semi-sweet bubbling wine is made from 100% cranberries. Just like the cranberry sauce you might serve at Thanksgiving, this wine starts out with a sweet taste and ends with a refreshing tart finish.
- Angel of Hope – This light sweet bubbling wine is made from Niagara wine with a touch of red wine added to give it the pink color. Our goal for this wine is to send a message of awareness and hope for all those whose lives have been touched by cancer. For each bottle sold, $1 will be donated to Relay for Life. The artwork for this wine was created by J.T. Dossett who creates some amazing artwork despite having a disabling condition called Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome, which has similarities to cerebral palsy.
ISC Traditional Method Sparkling Wines
- Brut (Brut) – Light & crisp, yet bold & full-bodied, our signature Brut stands up to its name. Like liquid gold, it’s a true classic. Traditional, yet exciting. Great for any occasion. Try it if you like: Belgian Ales, Citrus, or An Excuse to Toast
- Brut Ombre Rosé (Brut) – Our award-winning Brut Ombré Rosé features hints of raspberry & great acidity. Subtle color variations make each vintage unique. Best of Class & Double Gold Medal at the 2023 Illinois State Fair Wine Competition
- Demi Sec Rosé – This bold little rosé brings a depth of color & flavor to delight your senses. Hints of chocolate, cherry, and cinnamon underscore a slightly fruity first layer. Try it if you like: Strawberry daiquiris, Pavlova, Stolen kisses
ISC Ancestral Method Sparkling Wines
- Back to Back – Going back to back like it’s Jordan ‘96, ’97, this is ISC’s second sparkling collab with the pét nat champions, Pét Nat Posse. Clean and gluggable, like the sweet taste of victory. Enjoy notes of pear & apple cider, peach cotton candy, and grapefruit. Try if you like: Reruns of the 90’s Bulls, Stadium Nachos, Championship parades.