August Hill Winery is owned by Mark & Teri Wenzel. Mark watched his grandfather, August Engelhaupt, carefully tend the scenic piece of land that is now the location of the AHW vineyard and winery. Mark shares the passion that Grandpa Augie had for growing premium crops. When he discovered that French-hybrid grapes grow well in our climate, the concept for August Hill Winery was born.
The AHW motto is “From the heart to the hand, a passion for creation.” We take this seriously at August Hill. We are passionate about creating wines with the upmost care and attention to detail. From harvesting and crushing, to fermentation and barrel-aging, all phases of grape production and the winemaking process are carefully monitored by our winemaker, Mark Wenzel.
2017 Featured Wines
- Caramel Apple – Enjoy refreshing flavors and aromas of crisp, juicy apples and delicious, creamy caramel in this light, sweet wine.
- Niagara – A sweet, fruity, and very aromatic white wine with a strong American grape flavor.
- Ravat 51 – A dry, medium-bodied wine filled with notes of rose, pineapple, lemon, orange, and moonflower. Similar to a dry German Riesling, this wine is from Vignoles grapes.
- Vignoles – semi-dry, light-bodied wine with tropical fruit aromas and flavors. Vignoles is a French-American hybrid grape. This wine is similar in style to a Riesling.
- Sweet Catawba – A light, sweet, and fruity blush wine. This wine is made from American Grapes and has great fruit flavor. Catawba pairs well with light fish dishes, cheese and crackers, or friends who just want to sip and relax.
- La Belle Rosé – 2016 La Belle Rosé is a light-bodied, dry rosé wine with notes of strawberry, watermelon, and white rose petals. The Chambourcin grapes are gently whole berry pressed, releasing the premier juice in this “beautiful rosé”.
- Augie’s Blackberry – Fruit-forward port style wine made from fresh blackberries. Named after the grandfather of August Hill winemaker, because Augie had a passion for farming and eating fruit such as blackberries.
- Moscato – This slightly sparkled wine is elegant with a fruity bouquet of peaches and honey and has an excellent balance between its level of sweetness and acidity. It is a wine intended for pure and simple pleasure.
- Berlyn – A light, semi-dry red wine made from Frontenac and Chambourcin grapes grown in Illinois.
- Ginocchio IX – Aged 10 months in French and American oak barrels, this medium-bodied dry wine has a smooth tannin profile. The aromas and smooth flavors are filled with notes of molasses, fig, cassis, rosemary, coconut, and slight strawberry on the palate.
- Trapolino – A medium-bodied semi-sweet red table wine that is very approachable and fruity. Excellent selection for first-time red wine drinkers.
- Chambourcin – A smooth and timeless dry, red table wine made from Illinois-grown Chambourcin grapes. This medium-bodied wine is similar in style to a light pinot noir with its upfront fruit character and aromas and flavors of blueberry and dark chocolate.
- Almond Infusion – This light sweet bubbling wine is infused with lively almond aromas and natural flavors. This is a great wine to introduce you to bubbles because the sweetness and flavors make it very easy to drink.
- Cranberry Infusion – A light, semisweet bubbling wine made from 100% cranberries. Just like the cranberry sauce you might serve at Thanksgiving, this wine starts out with a sweet taste and ends with a refreshing tart finish.
- Mardi Gras – Mardi Gras! Celebration! We have taken one of our most popular wines, Sweet Catawba, and added bubbles. This sweet, bubbly wine is sure to bring out the fun all year long.
- Cherry Lime Infusion – This light, sweet bubbling wine is an infusion of lively cherry and lime aromas and natural flavors. Lime flavor has been added to the base cherry wine to balance the sweetness and acidity.