Prairie State Winery
- Booth #: 3
Prairie State Winery
One time school teachers, Rick and Maria Mamoser decided to forgo the long commute into the suburbs for a “simpler life” as business owners. Prairie State Mercantile opened at their current location in July, 1998. Selling finer goods, including wine, made exclusively in Illinois (The Prairie State), they were on the leading edge of the “keep it local” movement, winning multiple statewide awards for their concept.
Prairie State Winery soon followed (fall of 1999), expanding the concept by producing wines made exclusively from Illinois grown grapes. With their home winemaking experience, science background, and immersion into national wine curriculum, they soon started garnering many awards for their wines as well. With the first vintage of only 500 gallons to the most recent vintages of nearly 13,000 gallons, Rick and Maria continue to promote the philosophy of “Think Globally, Drink Locally.”
2022 Featured Wines
- State White – A nice crisp Illinois blend of Vidal Blanc and Seyval Blanc. Serve chilled with seafood, poultry and vegetable dishes.
- Maria’s Sangarita – If you like margaritas then this wine is for you! Try this delightful white wine flavored with natural key lime juice. Enjoy like a sangria in a tall tumbler with fresh fruit or with your favorite Mexican dish.
- Kishwaukee Blue – See why this is our most popular wine. Made in German Style with Illinois-grown grapes.
- Honey Orange Blossom – Tastes as good as it sounds, even better. Sweetened with local honey and orange oil. Perfect summer sipper.
- Prairie Mist – Sweet blend of Vidal and Traminette. Very aromatic and yummy.
- Honey Apple Crisp – We took our apple wine and sweetened it with local honey, then tweaked it with the right amount of cinnamon.
- Prairie Pumpkin – If you haven’t tried our pumpkin wine yet, you’re in for a real treat. Autumn in a glass.
- Drunken Apple – This amazing apple wine was aged in Kentucky Bourbon barrels. Taste this great combo for yourself.
- Cabernet Franc – Our signature Red. We’re very pround of this S. Illinois grown classic red varietal. Elegant, barrel aged and delicous.
- Red Oak – A rich and robust blend of Petit Sirah and Chambourcin. A great dry red wine.
- Cattleman’s Red – This perfect barbeque wine pairs great with all grilled fare. Can be served slightly chilled on a hot summer’s eve.
- Recovery Noir – A little sweet, a little dry, a little fruity, a little oaky and a lotta good! The more optimistic version of our Recession Noir.
- Prairie Dog – A sweet red made with Concord grapes. Light-bodied and fruity; reminiscent of Grandma’s grape jelly. Serve chilled.
- Snap! – If you’re a fan of giner, you’re going to love this ginger-infused white wine.
- Rhubarb – 100% Rhubard, 100% delicious. Got to try this unique refreshing wine.